Welcome to the website of Mulgrave Uniting Church. Here you can learn about who we are, where we are and what we do. Our website includes a brief history of the church, information about our regular activities, our contact details and some photos.
At Mulgrave Uniting Church, we strive to pursue our life-giving themes of:
· worship which is faithful to God’s word;
· giving and receiving of pastoral care;
· outreach which expresses faithful discipleship linking word and deed;
· growing in faith and understanding; and
· responsible stewardship of all resources.
Our minister is Rev Kharis Abadani who commenced with us in July 2019. Kharis also ministers to the Monash Uniting Church congregation which is located in Princes Highway, Clayton.
Kharis is the daughter of Rev Benjamin Susilo, who was minister to the Indonesian-speaking congregation when it was based at Mulgrave, before relocating to the St Andrews Uniting Church site at Gardiner.
She previously served in the Mitchell River Parish (Bairnsdale and Paynesville Uniting Church congregations) and ministered to people from diverse Christian backgrounds, to migrant workers and also to people suffering from mental illness. In 2016 -17 she was Vice-Chairperson of the Synod of Victoria and Tasmania Intercultural Reference Forum.
As well as leading worship and proclaiming the Gospel, Kharis’ gifts and priorities include pastoral care and visiting, training and supporting lay leaders, developing cross-cultural relationships and using her musical talents. She is fluent in English, Indonesian and Indonesian dialect Javanese, as well as conversational Japanese.
July 2021: Kharis is currently on Family Leave and is expected to return on 3 January 2022
We welcomed Belinda Clear as our supply minister from August 2021.
We meet for worship each Sunday at 8:45am and have holy communion on the second Sunday of each month.
Special services are held at other times as advertised.
You are most welcome to join us!
ON-SITE WORSHIP RESUMES FROM SUNDAY 28 NOVEMBER, 8.45am
Church Council is pleased that with the easing of restrictions face-to-face gatherings are permitted at church. Due to the continuing high number of COVID cases in the community these gatherings are for those who are fully vaccinated.
The service will be recorded and made available to those unable to attend. Please contact the Church if you would like access to the recorded service.
Members are reminded that when attending worship services or other gatherings at the Church to enter the building you must:
- Be fully COVID vaccinated (and have proof of vaccination) OR
- Have a medical exemption to COVID vaccination (and hold a copy of you “AIR form”) OR
- Be under the age of 12 years & 2 months
- Not have any COVID symptoms (or be awaiting results of a COVID-19 test)
Help us to stay safe:
- self sanitise and use the QR code to register your attendance
- masks are recommended to be worn indoors in situations where physical distancing cannot be maintained during the worship service
- softly singing with masks on
- social distancing during and after the service
- morning tea will be served after worship
- cleaning and sanitising of the church will occur after every service
Christmas Services will be held at 7pm Christmas Eve and 8.45am Christmas Day – Both these services will be for those who are fully vaccinated.
Many thanks to all members of the congregation for their support and participation in our February 2020 garage sale.
Congratulations and thanks to members of the community who attended and helped to raise over a $1000. All funds raised will support ongoing relief work as part of Uniting 2020 Bushfire Appeal.
We are planning to hold a 2022 Garage Sale on 19 February, 8.30am – 1.00pm
Secondhand Book Shop – HAS REOPENED AND IS WELL STOCKED
In our church building we have a “book shop” where we sell good secondhand books at very reasonable prices. Our stock includes novels, a broad range of non-fiction works and children’s books.
All income from the book shop boosts our congregation’s outreach giving.
The book shop is open each Wednesday (February – December) between 10am and 12 noon – all welcome.
Any phone enquiries during that time slot can be made on 9560 0469. To enquire at other times, please phone Beryl on 9546 0352.